Welcome

Hello and welcome, I love to be in a kitchen creating. I am often asked for recipes. So I am going to add recipes as I think to. If you have a request let me know. I will try to add photo of each thing to accompany recipe. Will do my best. I do not aim for healthy, low fat, good for you in any way. IF I happen to do a recipe that falls in there don't hate me for it. :) Enjoy

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Perogies


Perogies

Dough:
  4 Cups flour sifted
1 egg
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk or water

Fillings:

Sauerkraut:
1 large can sauerkraut
1 med diced onion
4 slices bacon diced

Potato and farmers cheese:
5 or 6 med. Potatoes
½ stick of butter
1 med. Onion diced
1- 1 ½ pounds of farmers cheese

Dough:  Mix egg, salt and milk/ water gradually adding flour while stirring to form a stiff dough.  Turn onto floured board and knead as for bread. Roll into a ball. Place in plastic bag and place in refrigerator to chill while preparing filling.

Sauerkraut:   Place Kraut in pan cover with water and boil.  Simmer 5 minutes. Drain, rinse, squeeze out all water place kraut , onion, and bacon in a frying pan.  Fry until brown. Add a small amount of oil if needed.  Set aside to cool.

Potato and Cheese:   Prepare potatoes as for mashed. In sauce pan while potatoes cook sauté onion with butter until tender. Add onion mixture to potatoes and cheese. Mix well. 

Roll dough ½ at a time on a floured board. Cut in circles with a  glass or doughnut cutter. Roll each circle again maintaining circle shape to approximately ½ its size again. Place filling in each circle so full when folded in half but not over flowing. Travel around edge on both sides with a  fork to crimp and seal. Drop into simmering water until each pierogi  floats.  Spread out to cool or drop into cold water. Place in refrigerated or container in freezer until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment